Tuesday 31 March 2015

Evaluation Question 7 | Final Task

7. Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?



Looking back at my preliminary task, I feel that I have learnt multiple techniques that allowed me to progress to the full product. Since the preliminary task, I have learnt how to create much more high quality and 'professional' looking shots by using the same camera (Canon 700D). One technique that I learnt is how to shoot in a flat profile picture style. Shooting in a flat profile is very beneficial as it enables the camera to pick up more detail into the picture. This is because all of the contrast and saturation has been taken out of the picture. This means that when you come to colour correct in post production, you can add your own contrast and saturation accordingly. 

Below I have created a comparison video of the rough cut and the final version of Anonymous to show the difference between a flat profile picture style and a fully graded piece of footage.


Also since my preliminary task I have been able to widen my creativity with the use of camera shots. For example, at the start of the sequence the journey of the bag needed to be fast paced and not time consuming for the audience. This meant that, when the bag travelled from cookham to London we had to show this as quickly as possible. The most traditional way of showing this is the use of adding a transition between clips (which implies passing of time). Due to growth and confidence in the way I can film and edit since the preliminary task, we added physical transitions instead. This is a very effective technique as the transitions are within the footage, which therefore keeps the flow of action.

Moreover, from looking back at the Preliminary Task I have learnt that when creating a text you need to meet all the criteria that is asked. I know this sounds straightforward but it is easier said than done. When shooting a film, it is easy to fall into the trap of making something that its not. For example, if we edited 'Anonymous' differently and made it into a montage sequence, it could have easily looked like a trailer of a film. This is the same with our preliminary task. We had no conversational dialogue between the two people in our continuity sequence, because we wanted the interrogator to seem powerful. However this ended up not working in our favour as we didn't meet the criteria of having a two way conversation, which therefore meant that we didn't execute our piece at a high-standard. 

Another aspect in which I feel I have improved is my progression of time management and planning. I have improved this by making sure I meet deadlines. To make sure I met these, one of my improvements that had to be made was editing more efficiently on Premiere Pro. This was done through the use of editing as much as possible. For example, we edited a few videos before our final task, i.e. the Audience Research segments, which allowed me to widen my skills on the platform. Planning was also improved by organising more meetings with my group outside class. In addition to this we set up two social media group accounts (WhatsApp & Facebook) which also allowed us to constantly communicate with each other. 

Since my preliminary task, I have also understand a range of institutional tasks, e.g. producing storyboards, risk assessments and shooting schedule. These tasks are vital in the industry as it allows them to follow the pre-prouduction stage effectively. For example, risk assessments need to be done to ensure that all safety measures have been put in place. In our preliminary we were relaxed when it came to the risk assessment, e.g. looking after our property at all times. However, developing this into our final task, we made sure that we kept hold of all of our equipment at all times, especially when we were filming in London. These safety measures were put in place to make sure that we didn't lose or get any of our belongings stolen.

Here you can see two shots (One from my preliminary task & one from the final task) where I feel that I made a marked improvement in my use of framing and decision making. I feel that I've shown a improvement in this particular shot as I thought through exactly why the shot was needed. In this case we needed to this Point of view shot type as I wanted to create a clip where you see a courier looking into the red bag and the audience recognising his reaction. This therefore shows that, the specific shot that we used, applied well with the opening as it would naturally draw the audience into wanting to watch more. Whereas in the preliminary task, we purely used this shot type for an effect. The framing of this shot is also unique as you can clearly notice that the he is looking into the bag through the use of having the edges of the bag around the frame. Moreover through the use of the bag getting zipped up, improves on the uniqueness that we created in the preliminary task. The zipping of the bag acts as a physical transition to the end of the opening titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment